Going Dawless


You may have heard this term "Dawless".  The general idea is to stop using a computer for recording.   Part of the reason is that you have to force yourself to be a better musician!  When you are recording linear there is a lot less possibilities for fixing things, etc.  The other reason is to honestly get down to business. 

There are a lot of people doing instrumental jams with synth setups, everything wired together via midi using a sequencer and sometimes loop pedals.  

There is a really good community on reddit for that kinda of thing right here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dawless/

What I'm talking about though is going to dawless to create acoustic music.  Harkening back to the old days of using a 4 track cassette recorder (or something similar).  The general idea is to take the computer away, and the crazy amount of options you have.  A lot of the times I end up in "analysis paralysis" trying to get a drum loop going or pick the perfect synth sound.  In the end I don't actually get anything done. 

I spoke with a few of my co-workers about this, and it led to some interesting discussions.  

Coworker 1:  I made some many songs with a sequencer, a Korg M1 and a drum machine.  Now the possibilities are limitless.  "I'll start working on this song once I get thru the 500 piano samples and pick the right reverb from the 200 options I have".  Back in the day he would pull up THE piano sound and go. 

Coworker 2:  I find that with a computer it's never really done you know?  Like when I was using a 4 track and friends would come over I would happily pull up my current mix and it was basically there.  With the computer I have to keep saying "well it's not finished yet".  

For the most part that might be because he has a half assed lead idea, the verse isn't done and he hasn't decided on the drum groove for the chorus yet. 

You can use your DAW as a tape machine if you like.  Just do not edit, do not use the DAW as intended.  Just use it to record performances.  Get your drums or drum machine out, program your bit.  Heck lay down the acoustic and the vocal first and play along to yourself with a set of drums afterwards.  This isn't about it being a "demo" quality or anything, it's about GETTING THINGS DONE! 

I myself have a very moderate setup, I've got an old 2011 imac, a set of tannoy reveal 402s, a few microphones and a FIREWIRE (yup I said it, they are damn solid) Focusrite saffarie pro24.   That being said, it's pretty powerful.  I use the wareform daw, and mixbus.  Both of which I'm learning.  Since I've been a pro tools guy for 18 years, it's a bit difficult. 

With all of the above, I do not get anything done.  I don't record anything.  I thought I would when I had the setup created and ready.  Nope, instead I blog about it. 

I may take my own advice and try my best to not use any daw features and just use it as a tape machine to see what happens.  Learn the part, perfect it, record it.  End of story. 

I'm going to pickup a used 8 track modular recorder, something by tascam or roland, zoom.  Like this: https://www.long-mcquade.com/GearHunter/644347/Tascam-DP-008EX.htm

Doing a few deep dives on youtube, I found this guy and his love of recording analog (and a bit of hybrid stuff).  I like his songs and his style. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSHhqfCfWUSemjJQgvf0iYw

This series specifically: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNN6eIxVE3s&list=PLr4Z3sR4-x4bjyyUD0qzt0G2G212Eju49&index=31

So I'm going to try this.  I'm going to write a song, play all the instruments all the way thru, and then for shits and giggles I'm going to dump my final mix to cassette.  And no I'm not going to use any automation. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building my first pedal board part 1

An introduction of sorts